Tax time is here. For those of us lucky enough to receive a tax refund, that means a nice chunk of change will soon be falling your way. Before you start your mental shopping spree, it is important to be smart about how you spend your “extra” money. Instead of spending it on items that immediately depreciates, why not invest in something that brings a return for years to come? Why not get that long overdue kitchen upgrade? Here are the top 5 reasons why kitchen upgrades are a wise investment.
1. Kitchen upgrades may increase the value of your home. If you are the type who thinks that everything should be looked at in terms of investment, renovating your kitchen may increase the value of your home significantly. Some statistics show that homes with a newly remodeled kitchen may increase in value by as much as 25%.
2. A kitchen upgrade brings friends and family together. We all know that the kitchen is where everyone gathers. A nice kitchen is a welcoming environment for socializing and it brings a sense of happiness to the entire family. The kitchen is undoubtedly one of the most used rooms in the house. This is the place where family members spend time together, enjoying each other’s company. Since the kitchen serves as the family’s haven from stress and tension, remodeling your kitchen it in a way that will increase comfort is likely also to increase the quantity of gatherings and family time.
3. It will help serve the real purpose of your kitchen. The kitchen is where you should enjoy cooking and creating meals for the family. However, if your kitchen is stuffy and all the equipment and appliances are outdated, cooking becomes tedious and stressful. With a new island, upgraded appliances, a nice backsplash and fresh paint, you may find your lost passion for cooking and your teenage kids may want to hang out in the kitchen again.
4. It will help put everything back into perspective. While renovating may seem tedious and burdensome it will give you the opportunity to put things in order; literally and figuratively. You can finally go through all of your kitchen cabinets and let go of junk that you have been hoarding and make your kitchen clutter-free. It will feel like you are having a fresh start once you see your new and improved kitchen space.
5. It will help increase home safety. You may not realize it, but an old kitchen may be an accident waiting to happen. Think about all of the outdated kitchen gadgets that are not longer working efficiently and electrical outlets that are already that have taken a beating. A kitchen make-over will help you to check every nook and cranny and install safety features for the benefit of the family.
You can readily see the many benefits of a newly renovated kitchen. If your tax refund doesn’t cover a major upgrade, don’t let that stop you. Opt for some fresh paint and even small improvements can make a big, positive change.