Being in the Pacific Northwest, we often forget to properly protect our skin from the sun’s UV rays. Even though we enjoy regular rain and cloud cover, the sun’s harmful rays can still penetrate your skin. In recognition of July being UV Safety Month, we wanted to talk about easy ways to protect your skin while working on home improvements this summer.
1. Keep track of the day’s UV index to limit exposure to the sun, or at least during it’s peak times between 10 am and 4 pm.
2. Spread on some sunscreen about half an hour before you soak in some sun-time.
3. Don’t forget to keep lips healthy, too. Spread on some lip balm as lips tend to dry fast.
4. Likewise, don’t forget to protect your eyes with UV-protecting sunglasses.
5. Keep away from surfaces that reflect the sun’s rays as it doubles your exposure to it.
6. Wear the right clothing. Something comfortable like a pair of pants and a light, long-sleeved shirt will keep you cool but covered.
7. Tanning beds may beautifully bronze your skin, but long-term they cause more harm than good.