If you’re like most American homeowners, your list of potential home improvement projects is endless. If you’re looking to tackle just one or two, it may be tricky to narrow down your list.
One functional and cost-effective idea is to add an outdoor deck. Here are just a few of the benefits of a deck:
- Increases home value – The value of your house will go up significantly when you add an outdoor deck. Homeowners that add decks report being able to recoup about 70 percent of their expenses by way of an increase in home value. The return investment on the addition of a deck is significantly larger than remodeling other parts of the home.
- Curb appeal – The appearance of your house will dramatically increase when you add a deck. The deck could be designed in such a way that it will conform with and complement the design and color of the house. The aesthetics of the house will further improve when you stain the deck.
- More room to entertain – If you want to entertain more but find yourself running out of space, a deck can open up more room for hosting guests.
- More living space – The added space that a deck provides isn’t just for entertaining. It also gives extra room for performing day-to-day activities. A family can barbecue on the deck or simply sit and chat in the evenings. Add some attractive and comfy patio furniture, and you’ll have a perfect setting for family bonding.
- Speedy construction – Unlike kitchen or bathroom upgrades that can stretch on for weeks or months, an outdoor deck addition could be finished in a week.
- Cost-effective – If you are looking to improve your property but don’t have a large sum of money to work with, a deck is a great solution. It generally costs from $20 to $30 per square foot, but it delivers a lot of bang for the buck.